[mythtv-users] How to change EPG provider

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 2 18:26:48 UTC 2017

On 06/02/2017 07:24 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 06/02/2017 03:43 AM, Jan Schneider wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm struggeling with testing (and thus changing) to a new EPG
>> provider. Both are provided via XMLTV and for the same (or at least
>> sufficiently identical) channel lineup.
>>
>> I added a new data source (using SD JSON), ran mythfilldatabase, and
>> it correctly filled up the EPG from both sources, with the
>> same/similar data. It also added new duplicate channels in the
>> channels listing, for the new data source. I line the new channels up
>> with the old list, so they have the same channel number, but still
>> the different XMLTV IDs.
>>
>> So far so good. But as soon as switch the input card to the new data
>> source, tuning into channels doesn't work anymore. Switching back to
>> the old source (and rebooting the backend) tunes fine again.
>>
>> To be honest, I never understood how inserting channels into the
>> listing from mythfilldatabase would work, opposed to the traditional
>> DVB scanning. The latter was how I generated the original channel
>> listing, which works.
>>
>> What am I missing? Are there more steps required to switch to a
>> different EPG provider for the same channel setup?
>
> As you seem to be thinking you might, you need to scan, then match up
> your channels from your new listings with the found channels. I would
> "Delete All" Video Sources, then scan for channels, then connect
> inputs, then match up channels.
>
> TTBOMK, unless someone found a way to add a bunch of additional
> information to some XMLTV stuff (and create a database of tuning
> information for areas including yours), mythfilldatabase is only able
> to add channels for analog tuners or external tuners (like
> CableCARD/OCUR/Firewire/...) where all you need is some channel
> identifier rather than a bunch of very specific tuner/channel
> information.

Oh, I should say that alternatively, you can just change the XMLTV IDs
for all the existing channels on the original Video Source to those used
by the new listings source/EPG provider.  Since those channels were
properly scanned, they have the appropriate information, so you can keep
using them and just swap the listings source.

Mike