[mythtv-users] Best options for commercial detection in Australia

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 15 11:43:25 UTC 2017

On 15 July 2017 8:33:11 pm evade. <evade at internode.on.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've used MythTV for about 10 years and although Australian free-to-air
> TV networks are known for difficult commercial detection, MythTV used to
> work really well a few years ago.
>
> Do any Australians have Commercial Detection working well and could they
> please let me know what methods they use for which channels?
>

> Aside from the obvious things, like turning off commercial detection on
> commercial-free ABC, I've found that I have to use the 'strict
> commercial detection' option to prevent problems.
>
> For example in AFL games the network goes to an Ad break after a goal is
> scored.  If another goal is scored within 30 seconds and the network
> goes to another Ad break MythTV was putting them all together and
> skipping the game time in between.
>
> Without the 'strict commercial detection' option I've also had other
> issues with parts of a program being cut with the Ads.
>

> I've not experimented yet, but I get the impression that SBS is less
> sneaky about their Ad breaks and one of the simpler detection methods
> might suffice.
>
> I've had no consistent success with Nine, Seven or Ten.
>

> Thanks!
> evade.

What version mythtv are you running? IIRC user faginbagin identified an
issue with how some commflag technical parameters were being calculated /
handled and developed a series of patches to remedy. But I don't recall if
they got pushed to fixes or not. If they did it was probably only to
fixes/0.28, maybe.

I use the silence detection script (Australian FTA Dvb-t)
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_detection_with_silences

It seems to work reasonably well on movies (maybe 75%). Not so great on TV
series particularly channel 7.