[mythtv-users] Best options for commercial detection in Australia

evade. evade at internode.on.net
Sat Jul 15 11:02:46 UTC 2017

Hello,

I've used MythTV for about 10 years and although Australian free-to-air
TV networks are known for difficult commercial detection, MythTV used to
work really well a few years ago.

Do any Australians have Commercial Detection working well and could they
please let me know what methods they use for which channels?

Aside from the obvious things, like turning off commercial detection on
commercial-free ABC, I've found that I have to use the 'strict
commercial detection' option to prevent problems.

For example in AFL games the network goes to an Ad break after a goal is
scored.  If another goal is scored within 30 seconds and the network
goes to another Ad break MythTV was putting them all together and
skipping the game time in between.

Without the 'strict commercial detection' option I've also had other
issues with parts of a program being cut with the Ads.

I've not experimented yet, but I get the impression that SBS is less
sneaky about their Ad breaks and one of the simpler detection methods
might suffice.

I've had no consistent success with Nine, Seven or Ten.

Thanks!
evade.