[mythtv-users] Scary permission problem

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 15:59:15 UTC 2017

On 17/12/17 20:21, Lee Maisel wrote:
> Nope.  That didn't do it unfortunately.  It's a mystery.  almost like
> it's sharing using SMB.   I don't see a reason to even use SMB sharing,
> unless the backends need it.

How is this SMB share mounted on the Linux clients?

I'm asking because it is possible to do so in such a way that all users
on a Linux client machine have access to the SMB share with the
privileges of a given user. In fact that's how I've done it here. The
following is an entry in the /etc/fstab file on my laptop:

//fileserver.xperim.be/disk3	/mnt/disk3	cifs
credentials=/roo/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,vers=2.1,uid=1000,gid=1000
 0  0

The file /root/.smbcredentials contains something like

username=userontheserver
password=correspondingpassword

So if you have done something like this it would explain why everyone
has access.

HTH, Jan