[mythtv-users] Scary permission problem

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Dec 18 21:35:43 UTC 2017

On 12/17/2017 2:21 PM, Lee Maisel wrote:
> Nope.  That didn't do it unfortunately.  It's a mystery.  almost like
> it's sharing using SMB.   I don't see a reason to even use SMB sharing,
> unless the backends need it.
>

> Lee
>

> On 12/16/2017 2:57 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Lee,
>>
>> Saturday, December 16, 2017, 9:26:05 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> I have noticed that ANY computer on my lan, even guests have FULL access
>>> to my Mythtv VIDEOS folder.
>>> Looking at permissions, I see it is Owned by user MYTHTV
>>> However, in user manager, my user is the only one I see.
>>> How can I fix this?
>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> You probably have world acces enabled. To disable that
>>
>> sudo chmod -R o-rwx <the full path to your video directory>
>>
>> This will recursive remove all world access from that directory and
>> everything it contains
>>
>> Tot mails,
>>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens

Hi Lee,

It's almost certainly a mythbuntu thing. When you install a mythbuntu
backend, I believe it will install samba automatically. Or if you choose
to enable the samba service, it gets installed. Either way, mythbuntu
will install its own version of /etc/samba/smb.conf that enables access
to the mythbuntu default locations of recordings, videos, music and
pictures. I like having samba, but I don't use the mythbuntu version of
/etc/samba/smb.conf.. Here's what mythbuntu 14.04 installed on my backend:

------------ begin /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
workgroup = MSHOME
server string = %h server (Samba, Mythbuntu)
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0
dns proxy = no