[mythtv-users] Ortek VRC-1100 IR receiver on Gentoo

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 21:32:25 UTC 2017

Hoi mythtv,

> On 04/05/2017 01:00 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 10:36 AM, mythtv <mythtv at mdabbs.org
>> <mailto:mythtv at mdabbs.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 04/05/2017 12:08 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>

>>         On 04/05/2017 12:45 PM, mythtv wrote:
>>
>>             Can anyone assist me with getting the Ortek VRC-1100
>>             working on Gentoo.  Everything I read seems to be Ubuntu
>>             related with hardware.conf files and what not.  Gentoo
>>             doesn't have that. I've seen some info on using devinput
>>             but I don't think I have my kernel, my udev rules, and
>>             other stuff configured correctly.  irw does nothing and
>>             mode2 says it doesn't work with this hardware yet.  Please
>>             help. Thanks!
>>

>>         I think you are over-complicating matters. It emulates a
>>         keyboard, so just plug it in and it works. I have 5 of these
>>         on Ubuntu and raspbian systems. They are detected as a
>>         keyboard by the system. If that is not happening then check
>>         logs to see what the error is. If you run lsusb you should see
>>         this
>>
>>         Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05a4:9881 Ortek Technology, Inc. IR
>>         receiver [VRC-1100 Vista MCE Remote Control]
>>
>>         There are instructions in the wiki for making it work with
>>         lirc, but that seems rather a waste of time. It works fine
>>         without.
>>
>>         Peter
>>

>>     If you're not using it with lirc, how do you map all of the keys?
>>     Is that explained in the inputlircd portion of the wiki page? And
>>     do you have to use the remote that came with it, or can you use
>>     other generic IR remotes like a Hauppauge or other MCE remote?
>>

>> I'm using one of these on Gentoo without lirc. Here's my section of
>> the Wiki:
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Adesso_ARC-1100#Alternate_Configuration
>> You map the keys using the key editor in MythFrontend setup.
>>
>> Karl
>>
> Ok, so when I disable the lirc stuff in the kernel, and shutdown lircd,
> I see entries in dmesg that it recognizes the device, but following some
> guidance on https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes, ir-keytable doesn't
> see any device.  What kernel settings do I need for ir-keytable to even
> see it?  Nothing is happening with this thing except when I plug it in,
> the red LED comes on for a second, then nothing.

As said, check your event nodes in /dev/input/. If you're using
genkernel they should load automatic, but if you build your own kernel
and the event node is missing, you're very probably missing some kernel
module! If the event node is there scan you bootlog/dmsg for the part
concerning that event node.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven