[mythtv-users] Ortek VRC-1100 IR receiver on Gentoo

mythtv mythtv at mdabbs.org
Wed Apr 5 19:47:03 UTC 2017

On 04/05/2017 01:00 PM, Karl Newman wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 10:36 AM, mythtv <mythtv at mdabbs.org
> <mailto:mythtv at mdabbs.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 04/05/2017 12:08 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>

>         On 04/05/2017 12:45 PM, mythtv wrote:
>
>             Can anyone assist me with getting the Ortek VRC-1100
>             working on Gentoo.  Everything I read seems to be Ubuntu
>             related with hardware.conf files and what not.  Gentoo
>             doesn't have that. I've seen some info on using devinput
>             but I don't think I have my kernel, my udev rules, and
>             other stuff configured correctly.  irw does nothing and
>             mode2 says it doesn't work with this hardware yet.  Please
>             help. Thanks!
>

>         I think you are over-complicating matters. It emulates a
>         keyboard, so just plug it in and it works. I have 5 of these
>         on Ubuntu and raspbian systems. They are detected as a
>         keyboard by the system. If that is not happening then check
>         logs to see what the error is. If you run lsusb you should see
>         this
>
>         Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05a4:9881 Ortek Technology, Inc. IR
>         receiver [VRC-1100 Vista MCE Remote Control]
>
>         There are instructions in the wiki for making it work with
>         lirc, but that seems rather a waste of time. It works fine
>         without.
>
>         Peter
>

>     If you're not using it with lirc, how do you map all of the keys?
>     Is that explained in the inputlircd portion of the wiki page? And
>     do you have to use the remote that came with it, or can you use
>     other generic IR remotes like a Hauppauge or other MCE remote?
>

> I'm using one of these on Gentoo without lirc. Here's my section of
> the Wiki:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Adesso_ARC-1100#Alternate_Configuration
> You map the keys using the key editor in MythFrontend setup.
>
> Karl

Ok, so when I disable the lirc stuff in the kernel, and shutdown lircd,
I see entries in dmesg that it recognizes the device, but following some
guidance on https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes, ir-keytable doesn't
see any device.  What kernel settings do I need for ir-keytable to even
see it?  Nothing is happening with this thing except when I plug it in,
the red LED comes on for a second, then nothing.