[mythtv-users] Storage group for holding recordings but not recording them

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Wed Sep 21 21:26:27 UTC 2016

On 9/20/2016 10:04 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/20/2016 02:09 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> On 09/20/2016 01:43 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
>>> Think I'm not seeing this clearly as I'm away from home dealing with
>>> a sick relative but need to do some housekeeping on my mythbox.
>>>
>>> I want to move a handful of recordings to an external USB drive I
>>> have attached to my system. I know I need to add the directory to my
>>> storage groups, but how do I make the directory available to Watch
>>> Recordings but not available to new recordings?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>> Create a new storage group and give it any name. Add your USB drive to
>> that. It will look on that drive for recordings to play but will not
>> select it for new recordings unless you specify the storage group in
>> the recording rule, which you will not do.
>
> Exactly.
>
> See, also: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/535888#535888
>
> Mike

That's exactly what I did for my sister. She's a pack rat and has a hard
time with the watch & delete philosophy. So I installed a hot swap tray
so she can plug in different hard drives depending on what she wants to
watch.

The problem with moving recordings to videos that are stored on
removable media is the metadata will be lost if/when you do a scan for
changes to your videos, and then you'll have to do another scan when you
plug in and mount the external drive. If you just move recordings to a
new storage group and move the physical files to removable media, the
metadata will be there even when the recordings aren't. They just show
up in an dimmer grey color with an X on the right hand side using the
MythCenter themes.

Regards,
Helen