[mythtv-users] Annoying shutdown problem

David Cunningham ml at upsilon.org.uk
Mon Sep 5 22:15:02 UTC 2016

On 05/09/16 11:04, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2016 at 10:43:29AM +0100, David Cunningham wrote:
<snip>
> /sbin/poweroff
>
> This SHOULD work, though. "poweroff" performs all the shutdown tasks
> that "halt" does, but also asks the kernel to poweroff the system. You
> could try increasing the verbosity of the kernel if you wish to debug
> the issue, though (remove 'quiet' and 'splash' from the kernel command
> line, then run "echo 7 > /proc/sys/kernel/printk" just before calling
> "poweroff")
Unfortunately this doesn't seem to give me any more info.

The log finishes with the messages

systemd_shutdown[1]: halting system
kvm: exiting hardware virtualisation
reboot: system halted

& just hangs

I'm not clear on the relevance of the kvm (as this is not a virtualised
system) but there's nothing else obvious in the preceding log messages.