[mythtv-users] Annoying shutdown problem

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Sep 5 15:42:10 UTC 2016

On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 10:43:29 +0100, you wrote:

>I've been running MythTV 0.27 or Debian Jessie for a while without
>problem. I've just switched to 0.28 on Debian Stretch and have been hit
>with an annoying problem on the frontend.
>
>The frontend is netbooted and controlled by a Harmony remote sending
>commands to an iMon receiver.
>
>I map the power command on the remote to a shutdown command in the
>lircrc config file. On Jessie this worked fine. The power button was
>mapped to "sudo halt" and the system shut down as expected.
>
>On Stretch/0.28 no such luck. The system shuts down OK but never powers
>off. It gets to a point where the last message is (something like -
>don't remember the message) "Shutdown complete, system halted" then
>freezes, i.e. the fronted does not power off and is not responsive to
>anything but manually pressing the physical power button on the frontend
>itself. It then boots on the next powerup as expected.
>
>I've tried changing the shutdown command, all of:
>
>/sbin/halt
>/sbin/shutdown -h now
>/sbin/poweroff
>
>behave the same way, i.e. the system does not power off.
>
> From googling I've tried adding acpi=forced as a kernel parameter but
>this has no affect.
>
>Interestingly if I ssh into the frontend or attach a keyboard and login
>to a different terminal and execute any of the shutdown commands the
>frontend powers off correctly.
>
>To me, this suggestes that there's some interaction between lirc and the
>shutdown process.
>
>Any suggestions - it's extremely frustrating at present having to
>manually poweroff the fronted!
>
>Cheers,
>David

If Stretch is using systemd, then you may have the same problem
someone I was helping had happen to them in Mythbuntu 16.04.  Systemd
replaces all the power and shutdown commands with links to systemctl.
So in Mythbuntu 16.04, for example, /sbin/poweroff is a link to
/bin/systemctl.  And for some reason, those links did not work
properly from MythTV, although they work fine from a command line. But
when the links were replaced with the correct systemctl command in the
MythTV settings, they worked properly.  So replacing the "poweroff"
command or whatever you are using in your lirc config with what it
aliases to, "systemctl poweroff", may work.