[mythtv-users] upgrading from mythbuntu 14.04/0.27 to 0.28 vs. mythbuntu 16.04 install

Vincent McIntyre vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 00:51:28 UTC 2016

On 11/27/16, Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 11/26/2016 06:50 PM, Mark Cooke wrote:
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> I did a 0.24 to 0.28 recently as a database backup, fresh install to new
>> hardware, and a final restore.
>
> I always start with a new partition, new install of the operating system
> and MythTV, then restore the database. Run mythtv-setup to upgrade the
> database.

I did something similar, with a separate SSD. I hit a wrinkle because
I restored the frontend user account's home directory before
installing mythtv. I had an autostart symlink for the mythtv frontend:

 /home/frontend/.config/autostart/mythtv.desktop ->
/usr/share/applications/mythv.desktop

and that caused some grief when I was trying to run mythtv-setup. If
you have one, I would remove it and reinstate it after the backend
setup is complete.

The other thing that can cause pain is the .mythtv/config.xml file
which contains the database password. If setup can't connect to the
backend, look for old versions lurking (there are a few places that
need to be checked).

Vince