[mythtv-users] Frontend hardware: VDPAU or VAAPI?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Nov 11 12:17:48 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-11-11 at 00:33 +0000, John P Poet wrote:

> There is currently a huge quality different in regards to the
> deinterlacers.  While good deinterlacers have been added to VAPPI, no
> one
> has added support for them to mythfrontend.  mythfrontend does
> support the
> best VDPAU deinterlacer.

I wonder what the state of Kodi is with regard to VAPPI and the better
de-interlacers.  Might be worth looking into if you are one of those
people that will notice the difference.

FWIW, I switched to Kodi (with the Myth PVR addon) a few months ago
when my upgrade to 0.28[1] started causing the MythFE to studder and
stammer (badly) on the exact same hardware and content as 0.27 was
working just fine.  I haven't looked back.  Albeit this is on ION
hardware, not Intel Graphics.

> The myth developers with knowledge of that part of the code are
> currently
> busy with work/life.

Yes, this is one of the unfortunate downsides of FOSS, particularly
with projects that have not taken on a $day_job paying sponsor because
said project fits into their income producing scheme somehow.  And
particularly with smaller, less popular projects.

Cheers,
b.

[1] Which required an O/S upgrade since the O/S version I was on with
0.27 was not supported for 0.28, and I am sure an Nvidia driver upgrade
also.  But ultimately, Kodi is playing all of the content, on the same
hardware, using VDPAU that MythFE (0.28, but not 0.27) was studdering
and stammering on, so the hardware and drivers are capable.  MythFE was
just incapable for whatever reason.