[mythtv-users] Frontend hardware: VDPAU or VAAPI?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 00:33:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 4:42 PM Steve Greene <sgreene59 at verizon.net> wrote:

> VAAPI seems like a no-brainer on cost, a turnkey $129 NUC5cpyh, capable of
> 4K, vs an AMD solution for a quite a bit more for less CPU, but VDPAU
> capable.
>
> Unfortunately, it seems like cheap mini-PC's with Nvidia video are gone
> with the ION. I like the extra interlacing capabilities of VDPAU and the
> native mythtv filtering, but it seems like the price/performance equation
> is favoring Intel and VAAPI.
>
> Anyone strongly disagree with this assessment? Any other thoughts? What
> about the Nvidia Shield 4K and the Android client?

There is currently a huge quality different in regards to the
deinterlacers.  While good deinterlacers have been added to VAPPI, no one
has added support for them to mythfrontend.  mythfrontend does support the
best VDPAU deinterlacer.

The myth developers with knowledge of that part of the code are currently
busy with work/life.  It would be great if someone new would step up and
add support for all the VAAPI deinterlacers to myth.

John