[mythtv-users] WHERE IS THE JSON GRABBER? Was "xmltv and atlas grabber"

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat May 21 19:47:18 UTC 2016

On 05/21/2016 06:18 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:

> Little snippets like the above are helpful but don't give an overall
> picture of how to set this grabber up - or even where to find it. If I
> go to schedulesdirect.org all I can find assumes that I'm in North
> America, rather than the UK. I can't find anything on the xmltv.org site
> either, even though there is supposed to be a tv_grab_sd_json grabber
> available.
>
> Is there a straightforward set of configuration instructions out there
> anywhere?

The SD-JSON grabber is available at:

https://github.com/SchedulesDirect/mfdb-json/tree/API-20141201

The README.md file explains the installation and setup details.
Admittedly, the description was originally written for use with Mythtv
so the UK situation may be somewhat undefined.

Something to understand about the JSON grabber.

The Schedules Direct website allows channel selection for the Data
Direct data feed on the website. You reduce the available three hundred
plus channels to those you select on the website.

The JSON grabber channel selection process is controlled entirely by the
user, *at the user's end*. Under Mythtv this consists of hiding unwanted
channels using the Channel Editor. The selected channels are listed in
the mythconverg.channel mysql table.

The JSON grabber only requests program guide data for channels which are
selected.

Figuring out how to restrict the channel request process for programs
other than Mythtv is ... left as an exercise for the reader.

              R. Geoffrey Newbury