[mythtv-users] Geforce GT710

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Thu May 19 19:38:30 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-05-19 at 15:45 +0300, IsmoT wrote:
> On 18/05/2016 14:35, IsmoT wrote:
> >
> > Just want to share information about this cheap passive cooled card.
> > I have tested it and it performs well with mythtv and vdpau.
> > It can do temporal-spatial deinterlacing with 1080i content 25/30Hz
> > without any dropped frames.
> > It also can do 720p > 1080p scaling with hq scaling enabled
> > I also watch much 480i pal rate programs, and it performs well with
> > temporal-spatial and hq scaling.
> >
> > I changed my old GT210 to this card, because GT210 didn't have enough
> > horsepower to do the hq scaling or temporal-spatial. It was almost
> > working, but had dropped frames time to time (maybe one in a minute or
> > two). I had to use temporal deinterlacer without hq scaling.
> > Difference is easily seen, mostly maybe hq scaling is that matters.
> > Deinterlacer differences are smaller, imho
>
> Sounds good. Which one did you go for, exactly? Something like
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-NVIDIA-Passive-Cooling-Graphics/dp/B01AY78NFW
> maybe?
>
> Can you tell me more about temporal-spatial deinterlacing and hq
> scaling, as I don't recognise those exact names - are those options you
> can pick in TV Settings, Playback?
>
> John
>
> --
> John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T
>
> Yes, it is exactly that card.
> Temporal-spatial is named "advanced" in mythtv playback profiles. hq scaling must be activated manually, by putting "vdpauhqscaling" to custom filter-textbox.
> This is good viki for vdpau:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU
>
> -K

HQ scaling (& the required factor) is set in the playback profile custom
filters.

Just don't forget that this card can not do:-
- HEVC decode
- 4K p50 p60 4:4:4 video
- HDMI 2.0
- 4K AVC/h264 decode ??

Even without any 4K source media, 4K TVs will become the norm & arguably
have reduced LCD DSE & screen door motion effects.