[mythtv-users] One step forward, two steps back - Frontends not woring properly

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sun May 1 23:18:02 UTC 2016

On 01/05/2016 11:02, Vincent McIntyre wrote:
> I just noticed your other thread about mysql and how you set it
> to listen just to the loppback interface i.e.
>   bind_address = 127.0.0.1
> So all my questions about mysql are probably moot,
> but let's take a look at your config anyway.

If it was a different thread, that my have been from my previous Myth
install. I did a clean install of Myth a couple of weeks ago. Then 0.28
got released about a day later. Then Xubuntu 16.04 came out about a week
after that. So, as I was having some trouble with that setup anyway, I
did yet another clean OS install on all of the machines.

MythTV 0.27 had been running great on Mythbuntu 15.04 for months and
months before that. I upgraded because the server was having some other
issues that I couldn't get to the bottom of.

> A question.
> Do you have some service on your network that actually needs IPv6?
> If not, I would disable it on the backend until this issue is resolved.
> I think you can do this as follows
>  $ sudo bash
>  # cd /etc/sysctl.d
>  # echo "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1" >99-disable-ipv6.conf
>  # reboot
> To re-enable v6, remove the 99-disable-ipv6.conf file & reboot again.

I don't really know what IPv6 is :-), so I doubt I've got anything that
needs it! I could turn that off if you think it will help. I'm just left
wondering why Mythbuntu isn't working as easily as it has in the past.
I've always had setup niggles with it, but not to this level.

> Rereading the whole thread, it looks like Steven Worthington could be
> on the right track with his questions about the startup order of
> the various interfaces and services.

I have tried manually stopping and restarting the backend, and that
didn't fix things.

> Posting the output of
>   initctl list
> should help clarify the situation

Here you go ...

$ initctl list
indicator-application stop/waiting
unicast-local-avahi stop/waiting
update-notifier-crash stop/waiting
upstart-udev-bridge start/running, process 1438
update-notifier-hp-firmware stop/waiting
xsession-init stop/waiting
dbus start/running, process 1444
no-pinentry-gnome3 stop/waiting
update-notifier-cds stop/waiting
gnome-keyring-ssh stop/waiting
ssh-agent stop/waiting
upstart-dbus-session-bridge start/running, process 1493
gpg-agent start/running
indicator-messages stop/waiting
logrotate stop/waiting
im-config start/running
session-migration stop/waiting
upstart-dbus-system-bridge start/running, process 1491
at-spi2-registryd stop/waiting
startxfce4 start/running, process 1532
update-notifier-release stop/waiting
indicator-sound stop/waiting
upstart-file-bridge start/running, process 1501
gnome-keyring stop/waiting
re-exec stop/waiting
upstart-event-bridge stop/waiting

Any problems/clues there?