[mythtv-users] One step forward, two steps back - Frontends not woring properly

Vincent McIntyre vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com
Mon May 2 13:52:16 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 12:18:02AM +0100, Damian wrote:

> I have tried manually stopping and restarting the backend, and that didn't
> fix things.
>
> > Posting the output of
> >   initctl list
> > should help clarify the situation
>
> Here you go ...
>
> $ initctl list
> indicator-application stop/waiting
> unicast-local-avahi stop/waiting
> update-notifier-crash stop/waiting
> upstart-udev-bridge start/running, process 1438
> update-notifier-hp-firmware stop/waiting
> xsession-init stop/waiting
> dbus start/running, process 1444
> no-pinentry-gnome3 stop/waiting
> update-notifier-cds stop/waiting
> gnome-keyring-ssh stop/waiting
> ssh-agent stop/waiting
> upstart-dbus-session-bridge start/running, process 1493
> gpg-agent start/running
> indicator-messages stop/waiting
> logrotate stop/waiting
> im-config start/running
> session-migration stop/waiting
> upstart-dbus-system-bridge start/running, process 1491
> at-spi2-registryd stop/waiting
> startxfce4 start/running, process 1532
> update-notifier-release stop/waiting
> indicator-sound stop/waiting
> upstart-file-bridge start/running, process 1501
> gnome-keyring stop/waiting
> re-exec stop/waiting
> upstart-event-bridge stop/waiting
>
> Any problems/clues there?

I was flummoxed by this - no mention of myth or mysql in the output.
But clearly they are starting up.
Then I remembered you are on 16.04 - is it using systemd as the
init system? You can tell if 'sudo which systemctl'
returns e.g. /usr/sbin/systemctl or /sbin/systemctl.

What I was trying to do here was get an idea of the relative order
in which things are being started up. That's turning out to be tricky
so we probably should not get distracted by the issue, but we may have
to come back to it.

Cheers
Vince

PS
If you do have systemd installed you might be able to use it to
get some information about the startup ordering, with
  $ sudo systemd-analyze critical-chain mythbackend.service
  $ sudo systemd-analyze critical-chain mysql.service
see also [1] and [2]. I am not sure these commands will work,
maybe others can supply the correct incantations.

[1] https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration
[2] https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/