[mythtv-users] Verizon Fios QIP7100 2 occasionally turns itself off, 6200ch always thinks it's on

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Jun 29 15:09:12 UTC 2016

> > Could it be temperature related?  I know there were some hardware
> > revisions related to heat on these.  Mine are all running with the
> > covers removed and good air circulation.
>
> I considered this and/or using a dedicated fan, based on other messages
> I've seen.  But the box is in a temperature-controlled environment.  I
> suppose that just taking off the cover could be a simple workaround if
> that's sufficient without a fan.  Did you have heat issues before taking
> off the covers, or is this intended to be a preventative measure?

I did not have heat issues... I removed the covers before I ever put them
into service based on all the things I had read.

> > Additionally, when is the last time you connected these to a Windows
> > PC to update their firmware?  AFAIK, it can only be done that way.
> > If you never have, it may be worth doing.  You can see the firmware
> > version in dmesg/syslog... but I don't recall what the most recent
> > version is(according to what is reported there, which is different
> > than the windows driver version).
>
> I think I'm running the latest:
>
> [   10.437400] hdpvr 1-6:1.0: firmware version 0x1e dated Mar  7 2012
> 08:25:15

That appears to be the same as mine

> As I'm going through my browser history, I see that I've already been to
> <http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2148605.html>, which maps
> up firmware 0x1e to hdpvr_1.7.1.30059.

One thing that thread reminded me of is that module option:
"options lirc_zilog tx_only=1
This is something I set on my system (also preventative).  Not sure if this
is something that only applies if you have the zilog kernel module loading
(I did use the blaster on these for a brief period, but it was too slow).

> It could be that all along I've had a not 100% reliable HD-PVR, but
> since enabling my hourly STB power check script, that guarantees that
> the device will start recording something at least 24 times a day.   So
> just by the numbers I'm more likely to encounter trouble.

I record an average of 12 shows a day and frequently have all 4 of my
hdpvr's active for at least an hour during prime time... as far as I know,
I have never had one in the state you describe.

> Alternatively, it could be that said script triggers an unexpected use
> case that puts it into an unexpected state:
>
> dd if="$pvr" of="$out" bs=64K count=2  1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
>
> When recording a half-second or so of video 24 times a day, one of them
> could trigger a bug in its state machine?  If so, perhaps increasing the
> length of this periodic recording could avoid this?

This is a definite possibility.   The box may not like the rapid cycling?

I quickly determined that the "OK" button on my remote would wake up an stb
that was in standby (the standby screen actually says press OK to watch
tv), but it just brings up the OSD if the box is on.  So I just added an
"OK" to my channel change script.  It presses OK, waits 500ms, then enters
the channel number.  I have never needed to check the status of my STB.

It may be worthwhile to determine if there is any button press you can send
that will wake the box if its off, but not do anything if the box is on.
Most of these boxes I have seen do not have a true "off" state.