[mythtv-users] HDMI – no audio GT210 [SOLVED]

Barry Martin Barry_Martin_3 at Q.COM
Thu Jun 23 01:00:45 UTC 2016

Hi Folks!

I finally have sound!  <cartwheels!!>  Thanks to those who attempted to
help.  What I did was kept remembering it seemed like there was
something else needed in the original HDMI card configuration but wasn't
able to find on-line.  Did sort of a round-about way to get to it: the
notes for the old/original system (version 10.10) were on my Windows XP
system which had somehow managed to kill itself (the OS got corrupted).
Before it died I had managed to make several backups and copies.
Haven't found (and haven't had time to look for) a file search utility
like Agent Ransack.  So, copied the Mythbuntu directory from one of the
backups to a thumbdrive, plugged it in to The VirtualBox XP, and had
Agent Ransack have a go.  It helped me find the file I was looking for.

Summary of what I did.

aplay -l     ==> gives the sound cards and their device numbers.  On my
original notes I have the comment "ASUS EN210)  the chip is an Nvidia
GT210 but ASUS must have done something to need a 'helper' (see below).

alsamixer    ==>  know what it's for but here basically to check to be
sure things still look OK.

speaker-test -c2 -twav -Dplughw:0,3    ==>  this didn't work but 0,7
did.  (Using devices 8 and 9 didn't work either.)  One thing I noticed
is the command sequence is different from the other notes.  I should
have tested to see what happens the 'normal' way but I was just
overjoyed to finally hear her saying "Front left, front right"!!  (BTW,
^C to stop.)

Now here is where things go off on a different trail.

sudo nano ~/.asoundrc    ==> Creates a new file.  Type in "pcm.!default
hdmi:NVidia".  (No quotes, and watch capitalization.)

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.alsa-base.conf    ==> at the end of the
file add "snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 index=1"  (Again no quotes).

Reboot (sudo shutdown -r now)

Test and hope -- yesss!!! <gg>

Go into Mythbuntu on the Frontend working on.    Go to the  Util/Setup>
Setup> General > Audio System (page 4),  (And that's not exactly the
titles of the sequence -- working from the 10.10 notes on a 16.04 system
fix.)   Change from "Alsa:default" to
"ALSA:plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7" (or whichever device number works for
you).

<reboot>

Test with speaker-test, load MythTV and test -- hope it works for you
too!