[mythtv-users] feature request - mail interface

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Jun 22 11:04:18 UTC 2016

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 13:55:42 -0600, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>     on a trip away from home, and wanted to check on the status of Mythtv.
>Since I don't have the router open, there is no way of checking to see if
>its alive and recording. So I thought it could be cool if we could email it
>and get it do do stuff:
>
>features:
>    - backend status
>    - upcoming recordings
>     - recording programs
>     - create a recording schedule
>
>Cheers
>
>Doug

The best way to do this is to have OpenVPN running on your network and
forwarded through your router.  I have it on my MythTV box, as that is
a PC with a good CPU to do the encryption.  OpenVPN can be a bit of a
pain to set up, but with the right options is extremely secure and
makes your remote device work pretty much as though it is on your home
network.  OpenVPN with the right options is what the NSA does not want
anyone to have.

I also run a VNC server on all the PCs I want full remote access to.
VNC itself is not at all secure.  But using it via the OpenVPN
connection allows me to have completely safe full desktop GUI access
to all those PCs.  It is also useful when I want to access a box from
the other side of the house.

If you really do want to make an email access method, remember that
email is completely insecure unless properly encrypted, so I would
recommend first investing in setting up Gnu PGP email encryption with
a big enough key before going that route.