[mythtv-users] end of NTSC cable, TWC/Comcast merger--what it means for me

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Tue Jun 14 20:12:09 UTC 2016

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> Yes, but the content will be marked (in TWC land) as copy
> protection required (with the usual exceptions of the OTAs)
> which MythTV cannot record.
>
> OTA recording using MythTV (which admittedly may not
> actually be viable, depending on your rental situation and
> the potential need for external antennas) can get you the
> same content.

I actually conducted a few tests a couple of years ago with this HDHomerun
and a TWC-issued m-card but do not now recall many details. But I think
your description of what can/can't be recorded is what I at that time
discovered. As to OTA recording, I did invest in a decent antenna--which I
had to mount indoors. Reception works best during the winter and, while
still serviceable in the summer, it does sometimes involve video/audio
artifacts during the latter season. I presume your supposition that copy
protection will remain as is currently implemented by TWC once the merge
with Charter is complete is predicated on your earlier assertion that,
since TWC is the larger company, its staff and policies are more likely to
prevail in the end? Thanks