[mythtv-users] Running SD JSON grabber on separate system to MythTV backend

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Jun 12 15:27:53 UTC 2016

Well I got mine done yesterday, what a palaver !
Actually, the listings change wasn't too hard - it's still a manual process for me, but it's sorted. At least until I get around to looking at the perlbrew option Ian mentioned.

I thought I'd take the opportunity to rescan the channels to get a "clean start" for my channel setup script - and that's where the fun started. I've a couple of HVR1350 (IIRC) cards, and in the past I've found that they don't seem to like a "Full Scan". I usually have to start off by scanning a single frequency (which will also find the other muxes from the datastream), and then scan each multiplex in turn.
This time, no luck. It seemed to be only able to scan a single mux and found nothing at all on any other.
Then I tried dvbtune and found that if I used dvbtune first, mythtv-setup could then scan that frequency. Really odd, but it got me all my channels.
Then I found MythTV couldn't tune anything and was creating empty recordings.
Then I found a message in the backend logs about an invalid bandwidth value being passed to the tuner.
I had to manually set the bandwidth to 8M for each mux and then it started working.

That's really odd, and since I've not changed any software since I last did a rescan, what's changed ?

Of course, I've now got a shedload of stuff flagged to record that's already been recorded. At least I didn't get round to switching to Atlas and go through this twice :-)