[mythtv-users] Running SD JSON grabber on separate system to MythTV backend

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 13:16:39 UTC 2016

> What do I need to do next ?
> Is it best to transfer the XML file to my backend and have
> mythfilldatabase suck that in ? Or do I need to install some MythTV stuff
> on the VM and run it there ? Or something else ?

I'm in Australia and use a grabber called Shepherd. The way I run this is
from a shell script and it outputs an XMLTV file. Once I have that XMLTV
file I load it into MythTV:

mythfilldatabase --only-update-guide --file --sourceid 1 --xmlfile
output.xmltv

This is all contained in a wrapper script so I have one cron job that calls
the grabber then calls mythfilldatabase.

I don't it matters where the process that created the XMLTV output file
runs. So it seems to be you could do something similar after transferring
your XMLTV file to your backend machine.