[mythtv-users] Save original files after transcoding

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 00:42:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 11:09 AM, George Bingham <georgeb1962 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Michael,
>
> My setup has that option checked (save original files after transcoding),
> but I had to backup the recording manually by copying it in place and
> adding a '.tmp' extension, and THEN the mythtranscode program will restore
> that .tmp file at the end of it's run.
>
> I use the mythtranscode app to generate a .mpg file where the commercials
> have been cut and the mpg moved into my 'videos' directory tree, and at the
> end of the mythtranscode part, the .tmp file gets moved back to .ts (not by
> my script, but by mythtranscode). That leaves me with the original
> un-touched recording still intact and available to the interface.
>
> HTH
>
> George
>
> -- George
>
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/02/2016 08:26 AM, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
>>
>>> Quick question...  If "Save Original Files after Transcoding" is checked
>>> and you have a custom job transcode the files (IE: handbrake), does this
>>> option not work?
>>>
>>> I have it checked but run a transcode with a custom shell script that
>>> executes handbrake.  I'm guessing that if you have these options set, it
>>> doesn't backup the original and the user would have to do it through the
>>> shell script.  Either that, or I have no clue where the files get renamed
>>> to .old.
>>>

>> Correct.  If you're doing the transcoding, you must do anything else you
>> need done--including not deleting/keeping/renaming/copying the original or
>> whatever.  The option is only for mythtranscode.
>>
>> Mike

Thanks for the response.  I can't wait to start using the mythtranscode
internal apps instead of running it through handbrake.  I had issues with
the internal myth transcoder trying to transcode it to mp4 and compress it
to save space.  I can't wait until Comcast flips over from mpeg2 to h.264
and then I can stop using handbrake...

Not that handbrake is bad, it's just one more step that I would rather just
have it all work internally...