[mythtv-users] Need nvidia driver recommendation

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Sat Jul 30 01:23:01 UTC 2016

On 7/29/2016 7:15 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi John,
>
> Saturday, July 30, 2016, 12:29:09 AM, you wrote:

>>> I agree, Nvidia is usually pretty painless.  Apparently, Nouveau is
>>> installed and running.  Do I  have to blacklist it before installing
>>> proprietary Nvidia drivers?
>>>
>>> don at andy:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
>>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT216
>>> [GeForce GT 220] [10de:0a20] (rev a2)
>>>          Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. Device [19da:1132]
>>>          Kernel driver in use: nouveau
>>> don at andy:~$
>> I never have.  According to that wiki page:
>> "Nouveau, an open source driver, is installed by default. It's possible
>> to remove it completely, but it is not necessary and therefore not
>> recommended."
> The 220 is what nvidia calls a legacy card. The newest nvidia drivers
> won't work. So when you installed the 220 you probably had to
> downgrade the nvidia driver to 340.96. The 720 is supported by all, so
> a system configured to work with the nvidia driver for a 220 should
> work with a newer card like the 720. Only not all of the newer
> features will be supported, so you best upgrade to the latest nvidia
> driver, being 364.19 or 367.35.
> Nouveau works with all but the very old nvidia cards (pci or even isa
> models).
>
> Every now and then Nvidia freezes their driver throwing a bunch of
> older cards out off support with the newest drivers. They however do
> release bugfixes for those legacy cards. So the driver number after
> the dot can increase.
>

> Tot mails,
>    Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens

Thanks everyone for the help.  When I had the original GX710 board, I
had installed the latest driver (367.27).  Switching to the GX220, it
was running with Nouveau.  When I installed the new GX720, it ran with
367.27 and just worked.

Strange though, I thought I had purged all nvidia drivers...I thought
they were gone.

Re:
sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*

---