[mythtv-users] upgraded 0.28 on mythbuntu not finding proper backend

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Jul 25 15:09:26 UTC 2016

On Tue, 2016-07-19 at 07:53 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> My other Mythbuntu FE's don't seem to be finding the right BE address
> though:

This is solved.  Just thought I would follow-up here with what the
problem was as it's not entirely intuitive.

Notice that the first DBManager (0) connects to the database just fine:

> 2016-07-19 07:41:02.143950 I  [DBManager0] Connected to database
> 'mythconverg' at host: pvr

What happens is that subsequent DBManagers (1 and 2) fail to connect to
the database because the ping to the database server failed.  It's
strange why the first DBManager connection doesn't fail for the same
reason.

The ping failed because the ping binary wasn't getting it's suid bit
set.

I opened a ticket and pushed a patch to make the database ping more
obvious and it was merged to master, IIRC so hopefully anyone hitting
this in the future will get a more obvious warning.

Cheers,
b.