[mythtv-users] Problem with LIRC after upgrade to Fedora 24

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Mon Jul 18 16:33:30 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to keep this thread sane: Actually both styles should work. It's just
> a question of using the kernel decoding (devinput) vs using lircd to decode
> the raw timings (default driver). The raw timings are available on
> /dev/lirc? if the protocol is set to 'lirc', the decoded events are on a
> /dev/nput/ device if the protocol is left untouched. The kernel supports
> both modes.
>
> Recent lircd normally sets the protocol automagically if needed, but when
> testing one might need to set it manually.
>
> Something definitely changed between 0.9.3a and 0.9.4a.  I had the driver
as devinput in 0.9.3a, and upgraded to F24, which had 0.9.4a, and got stuck
-- I was not getting any response from the remote with my old
configuration.  I restored back to F23 and built the 0.9.4a rpms for F23
and had the same effect.  There was some change made between the versions.

I built the 0.9.3a rpms for F24, upgraded again to F24 and things were okay
-- no issues.  Of course I had to fix that buzzing in my ear, so I upgraded
to 0.9.4a once again.  I finally experimented and got lirc working by
changing the driver to default.  I saw someone else do it in a mailing list
while I was googling like mad for an answer.

There probably is a way for my setup to work with the driver as devinput.
I'm all ears. :)  I have only the lirc protocol enabled, and most of my
configs were posted at the start of this thread.  I'll post more upon
request.

Jerry