[mythtv-users] Just to let people know.....Myth 0.28 on Fedora DOES support x265/HEVC files now.

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Sat Jul 16 21:04:19 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 04, 2016 at 01:51:20PM +0100, Another Sillyname wrote:
> I know it's supposed to, but I can confirm it actually does and works
> very well with 4K files.

This is good to know as I'm considering upgrading my main computer and
monitor.  Newegg has a 4k monotor on sale right now and I'd like to ask if
anyone has opinons about it, pro or con.  It is not clear what the spec

4K UHD 3840x2160 60Hz / 10Bit

means, and it doesn't explain it elsewhere in the page.  If this is what
I think it means: 10 bits per pixel, ie: not true color/24 bits per pixel,
it's a show stopper.  The brand is also unknown to me.  The disclaimer at
the bottom of the page is also a bit scary:

  Perfect Pixel Policy
  The manufacturer and the seller have tested the monitors for 100% in
  quality, but it is possible to find 0~1 dead pixels per monitor. We hope
  you understand that having up to 1 dead pixels cannot be the reason for
  return, refund or exchange.

I haven't started looking at 4k monotors/tvs until now.  Is 10 bpp the
norm?  Are 4k panels so hard to manufacture that they are expected to
have bad pixels?  Or are these discounted so heavily because they are
rejects?

Anyway, here is the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA90V3VX1598&cm_re=yamakasi-_-9SIA90V3VX1598-_-Product

> I think the VAAPI profile is also working with the Skylake processors

Another good thing to know as I had been looking at an i7 6700K.  I
notice, per this combo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2543214

that HDMI has some problems that may or may not be addressed by the
latest releases.

This brings up another issue: given that the display is 4K and the tv I
have is just HD (1920x1080) would the cpu, MB and myth work well
together?  The current machine where myth is running (a liva x) has both
a VGA monitor and the TV (connected to the HDMI port).  They both have
to be of the same resolution (HD).

The tv is also supposed to have a refresh rate of 120Hz (it's a samsung
6200) but the liva x is apparently only capable of 60Hz.  The HDMI
connection (on the tv) reports 1920x1080 at 60Hz and xrandr reports
the same.  Everything I've read about the i7 and the motherboard say
60Hz.  Is the 120 Hz refresh rate of the tv wasted as far as computer
hardware and/or myth?  I wonder if that refresh rate is only an internal
feature for smoother motion and if it applies only to what comes off the
internal tuner of also to the hdmi signals that come off myth at 60Hz.
Does anyone know?  The tv manual doesn't say anything about it.

A final fact that might be of interest: I watch most informational
programs at higher speeds so I get through them in less than real time.
The liva x is only capable of playing reliably at 1.75 the speed.
Anything  higher can cause random lockups that require a reboot.  The
display freeses and the computer can only be accessed by ssh.  I'm
running Debian jessie on it.

> to decode x265 content as the processor load is a fraction of what it
> is without using VAAPI.

About the motherboard(s).  This review compares the (supposedly) best
two.  Does anyone have any comments about these or others?

http://innoreviews.com/motherboard/best-motherboard-for-i7-6700k-2016-answered/

Thanks for any info.