[mythtv-users] FrontEnd will connect if feels like it

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jul 8 19:14:32 UTC 2016

On 08/07/16 18:53, Barry Martin wrote:

> Hi Mike!
>

>>> 1. Remove the symlink: "rm /home/barry/.mythtv"
>>> 2. Create your dir: "mkdir /home/barry/.mythtv"
>>> 3. Symlink the config file within it:
>>> "ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml /home/barry/.mythtv/config.xml"
>>>
>> It would be better to symlink the whole directory by dropping step 2:
>> "ln -s /etc/mythtv /home/barry/.mythtv"
>>
>> That way you get access to the caches, source definitions, etc.
>

> I read and tried Roger's way before I got to yours (just a matter of
> sequencing) but your way which includes the caches and definitions seems
> to make sense.  Not disputing Roger by any means, just seems logical to
> my newbie mind.
>
> So two parts...  First, your suggestion gets interpreted on this end as:
>     1. Remove the symlink: "rm /home/barry/.mythtv"
>     2. "ln -s /etc/mythtv  /home/barry/.mythtv"
>
> Which is linking the entire directory instead of just the file
> config.xml, right?  Guessing this is how the caches, source definitions,
> etc., get linked.  (Also a little confused as to how something can link
> to something removed, namely "/home/barry/.mythtv".  There! Just demoted
> myself to fledgling newbie! <g>)
>
> OK, so Part 2 is as I have used Roger's three-step correction, and it
> does work, and I don't want to screw up something further by guessing.
> Remove "/home/barry/.mythtv" again, so just the two steps??

That's right. The ln -s command will create a directory link to /etc/mythtv.

Note that as this is Linux (unix) and it follows a standard... the arguments to ln -s are the other
way round! You specify the one that exists and then the link name you want to create (which in
theory needn't be the same name, by the way, but that would just confuse everybody).

And for the avoidance of doubt, it is the permissions on the original file or directory that count,
not those on the link.

--

Mike Perkins