[mythtv-users] FrontEnd will connect if feels like it

Barry Martin barry3martin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 17:53:03 UTC 2016

Hi Mike!

> > 1. Remove the symlink: "rm /home/barry/.mythtv"
> > 2. Create your dir: "mkdir /home/barry/.mythtv"
> > 3. Symlink the config file within it:
> > "ln -s /etc/mythtv/config.xml /home/barry/.mythtv/config.xml"
> >
> It would be better to symlink the whole directory by dropping step 2:
> "ln -s /etc/mythtv /home/barry/.mythtv"
>
> That way you get access to the caches, source definitions, etc.

I read and tried Roger's way before I got to yours (just a matter of
sequencing) but your way which includes the caches and definitions seems
to make sense.  Not disputing Roger by any means, just seems logical to
my newbie mind.

So two parts...  First, your suggestion gets interpreted on this end as:
    1. Remove the symlink: "rm /home/barry/.mythtv"
    2. "ln -s /etc/mythtv  /home/barry/.mythtv"

Which is linking the entire directory instead of just the file
config.xml, right?  Guessing this is how the caches, source definitions,
etc., get linked.  (Also a little confused as to how something can link
to something removed, namely "/home/barry/.mythtv".  There! Just demoted
myself to fledgling newbie! <g>)

OK, so Part 2 is as I have used Roger's three-step correction, and it
does work, and I don't want to screw up something further by guessing.
Remove "/home/barry/.mythtv" again, so just the two steps??