[mythtv-users] F.C.C. Proposes Changes in Cable Set-Top Box Market

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 28 12:33:10 UTC 2016

On 01/27/2016 10:59 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 3:41 AM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>> Once the weather gets nice, I'm going to start investing in roof antennae to
>> see what  my OTA reception is like in preparation to cut the cord.
> Start at tvfool.com (or http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/)
> for the starting hints of what you can get.
>
> Of course, with a 200' mast with deep deep fringe
> directional antennas and an appropriate RF
> plant for combining the channels, you might be
> able to get a few more channels......  Think of
> it as the start of yet a new and different hobby.

Ooh, and--so they don't get upset at your "eyesore"--you can get your
neighbors to join in/contribute to the costs, and split the signal with
a cabl^H^H^H^Hwire going to their houses so they can enjoy the OTA
signals, too.  As you get more and more neighbors joining the
community-antenna television pool, and contributing their funds, you
could set up more/better antennas to try to pick up more channels--maybe
even going so far as to set up a satellite dish picking up FTA channels
or even contracting with networks that broadcast over satellite (like
HBO and Discovery and such) to make their channels available.  Sounds
like a great way to get good TV for yourself and your neighbors.  Then,
you'd just need a name for it.  You could call it "wire TV"--because it
just requires running a new wire to each house that wants to be a part
of it...

Mike