[mythtv-users] Mythtv "image"

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 26 16:53:39 UTC 2016

On 01/26/2016 11:28 AM, jedi wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 05:53:37PM -0700, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>> On Saturday, January 23, 2016 04:18:58 PM Ian Evans wrote:
>>> I posted a pro-MythTV tweet with my @torontoota acct and one of the
>>> set up,  too expensive to operate and there are at least half a dozen
>>> better options".
>>>
>>> I have never seen it that way. From install boot to first recording was
>>> less than half an hour. You can make a low power combined fe/be. I pay two
>>> bucks a month for listings.
>>>
>>> Does myth have an image problem? I didn't think so.
>> Whining from someone who fashioned themself an expert, but wasn't expert enough to make it work. And geez, it's Twitter, not a bastion of well-considered opinionating.
>     Anything associated with Linux is going to have the "too hard" label
> attached to it. It doesn't matter how easy and automated it really is. It's
> going to get labeled as if it were something from the 90s.

Regarding "too expensive to operate" - I have replaced my Comcast cable
box and DTAs with mythtv frontends and raspberry pi's (5 TV's in all)
and one ceton infinitv 6 eth -  that has reduced my Comcast bill by $30
per month. That did not include a Comcast DVR, which I did not have. I
have frontends in 5 rooms that can show any program that I have recorded
or Live TV. To get all that from Comcast would be a lot more than an
extra $30 per month. I got rid of all the "additional outlet fees" and
"high definition technology fee" and I still get HD through cable card.
My frontends and backend power off when not in use so I am probably also
using less power than the cable converter boxes.

Peter