[mythtv-users] Fanless video card for 1080p?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 17:34:26 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can actually get those with HDMI now but I'm not sure how well it would
> perform so instead I'm looking at a GT730, but the current ones with 384
> CUDA cores has DDR3 memory instead of GDDR5. Does that actually matter for
> VDPAU?

Reportedly not unless you are also a gamer.  While
de-interlacing does require memory bandwidth, it is
nothing compared to rendering in a FPS.  There were
at least two reports of people happy with GT730s
(new gen) on the list, as I recall, and no negatives,
so based on anecdotal evidence, what could
possibly go wrong?

The qvdpautests that I recall being documented
also shows that card should work (although,
as we all know, driver versions can improve or
hurt those numbers, and I have not looked at the
results for quite some time).

> Here's the card I'm looking at:
>
> http://amzn.com/B00NN97MMY

I have never physically handled that card, but previously
some of the Zotacs of that design would not actually fit
in some low profile cases, or manage to coexist
with some other cards in the next slot(s) (it is just a little
bit taller, and just a little bit wider than a true single
slot low profile card(*)).  If those characteristics matter
you may want to be sure you choose a retailer that
has a liberal return policy.

Of course, as Mike (? I think it was Mike?) said,
if you really want quiet, put the PC in another
room.

(*) I have not recently reviewed the marketspace,
but I had not seen a true single slot low profile
fanless GT730, although I have seen some fanless
cards that are low profile dual slot, rather than the
Zotac, which may intrude a bit on both the forward
and the reserve slots, in addition to being just a
little bit taller than low profile.  And I did see some
single slow low profile cards with a fan.  Given the
requirements for video rendering (unlike gaming),
I would not be surprised if the fan was able to run
slow enough to be reasonably quiet  Your environment
may be different.