[mythtv-users] USB CEC adapter

Daniel Frey dmfrey at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 22:28:37 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 12:24 PM Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On January 23, 2016 7:20:46 AM PST, Josu Lazkano <josu.lazkano at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have two Pulse Eight USB CEC adapters:
> >https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/104/usb-hdmi-cec-adapter
> >
> >I need other one to use it in a new frontend. I want to know if there
> >is other option for this.
> >
> >Pulse Eight works great for me but I want to try maybe a cheaper
> >device.
> >
> >Best regards.
>
> I'm looking for a new TV but have been trying to figure out how to control
> it like I do my old one via a serial port. Is there Linux support for CEC?

Mythtv supports CEC, but I am not aware of any graphics adapters support
it, so you will need to use one of the adapters.  I do believe that a rpi
supports it with no extra hardware required.

The real problem is the tv manufactures all implement it differently. I
have LG tv's. they call it Simplink.  It doesn't fully support the CEC
spec. So I can't reliably use it.

I have also had mix results using the pulse8 adapter.

Unfortunately, since there is not standarization, I am afraid it is gonna
die.  I was so hopeful for it.