[mythtv-users] Moving Beyond CableCard

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Jan 22 16:36:16 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 2:59 AM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I see this as a discussion as to what copyright law is, and
>> should be, and your (fair use) rights for using content as
>> you wish.  That is a useful discussion, but not one that
>> most organizations are interested in participating in
>> unless they can get your payment in advance to fund a
>> lobby campaign that will likely loose to Mickey Mouse Inc.
>
> Which, as usual, means that people with an interest need to make their
> voices known to their elected representatives. And when an election is looming,
> make it know to all the candidates. And now is the time to be doing it - while
> ideas are being tossed around. By the time proposed rules are published, then
> it's too late - the back room deals have already been done.

I have to agree with Lessig on this.  Until there's major campaign
finance reform, there's just no point in pushing politicians in ways
that won't get them either $$$ or a very substantial number of votes,
and copyright changes that benefit the people consistently fails to
deliver either.

At this point, if you want to push this through grass-roots methods, I
think you would first need to drum up more interest among voters, and
only then go to the politicians.  As it stands now, most of the
population is either ignorant of the problems, or simply doesn't care
because they're more than willing to break the laws.

Eric