[mythtv-users] Moving Beyond CableCard

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 07:59:24 UTC 2016

Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see this as a discussion as to what copyright law is, and
> should be, and your (fair use) rights for using content as
> you wish.  That is a useful discussion, but not one that
> most organizations are interested in participating in
> unless they can get your payment in advance to fund a
> lobby campaign that will likely loose to Mickey Mouse Inc.

Which, as usual, means that people with an interest need to make their voices known to their elected representatives. And when an election is looming, make it know to all the candidates. And now is the time to be doing it - while ideas are being tossed around. By the time proposed rules are published, then it's too late - the back room deals have already been done.
Yes, we all know they mostly forget anything they promised, and everything they were told, once they get into office - but if lots of "ordinary people" make it an issue then it will (in some small way) have an effect.

Yes it's a crap political system, but it's better than the alternatives !

As to the proposals, yes it's just about who owns the customer and gets to suck at the money teat. The one group not being considered is the consumer - other than "how can they be locked in to handing over money".