[mythtv-users] OT: How is this inline done?

Mike Holden mikeholden99+mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 12:16:45 UTC 2016

On 19 January 2016 at 06:34, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:

> Thanks Mike! That explains it all and lead me to an hour or so of
> interesting education. They're "PVI Virtual Insertions"
>

> http://www.sportvision.com/hockey/virtual-advertisements
>
> http://www.sportvision.com/pvi-overview
>

> (distantly) related to the FoxTrax puck-tracking system tried by the NHL
> in the mid-90s. Here's a good nerdly read on how they got that system going:
>

> http://ethw.org/First-Hand:Recollections_of_the_development_of_the_FoxTrax_hockey_puck_tracking_system
>

> Sportvision seems to have a lock on the market, from their own development
> (they hold a lot of patents) or acquisition. PVI was an acquisition
> (In-Studio) and I haven't yet tracked down who developed it or how it
> works. It doesn't appear to require anything of the venue - I'm pretty sure
> our old arena in its last year of NHL operation hasn't invested in anything
> to be able to offer it this year.
>

> I suppose we have enough processing power now to make this kind of dynamic
> reality-bending broadcasting the norm, and make any surface a virtual
> reality canvas. And it's all done in the studio - which means it can be
> done pretty much anywhere. PVI can even be used as an alternative to the
> original 1st-down system. I remember reading a lengthy Sports Illustrated
> (?) article about the 1st-down tech and at that time it required altering
> cameras and yard markers, and 2 semis worth of gear. Now apparently only 1
> semi is needed. :)

Here in Australia, this kind of thing is used to "paint" adverts onto the
turf in NRL (Rugby League) games.

They are only done for the fixed cameras up in the stands, so when the view
cuts to one of the lower cameras in the corners (presumably the low angle
(approx 3 feet/1 metre off the ground) makes the rendered image too
difficult to read, so no point doing it) or one of the handheld cameras
(that can't be tracked via the mounting hardware), the adverts disappear
off the turf!

In fact it's usually difficult to tell the real paint (they often have some
of those as well) from the virtual paint, until the camera angle changes
and some of them vanish!