[mythtv-users] Mirroring root partition on SSD to a hard drive -- bad idea?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 20:08:22 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 7:35 PM, Ben Kamen <bkamen at benjammin.net> wrote:

> That's pretty much a win in my book.

I would say that was outstanding customer service,
and not at all what I would typically expect.

Now, if, as you say, you purchased all the drives
at the same time, your other drives could be
counterfeit too.  Did they provide a way for you
to check?  In some past WD cases, you could
tell from (carefully) looking at the label.

In all cases I am aware of Newegg has been
good about taking ownership of counterfeits
that make it through their processes.  Stuff
sometimes happens in the channel, and if
<retailer> was not good about dealing with
counterfeits, they would not be able to stay
in business.  I think Newegg had a Intel CPU
counterfeit incident a long time ago, too.

There is, of course, another lesson here.  Your
"on-site <cold> spare" is not a spare unless
you have at least run it "hot" for some (short)
period of time.  I have lost track of the number
of times I went to a remote location to swap
in the on-site spare that was still in the new
sealed box and that failed to operate when
inserted/powered on.  It is not so bad when
it was only a walk across the site to get another
spare.  Not so great if it was (in practice) a
few hour drive to another location and back.
Sure, devices can fail while being stored,
but at least you can say it worked at one
point (and as electronics tends to have the
bathtub failure mode, finding (and RMAing
while still under warrantee) the early failures
is often goodness).