[mythtv-users] Mirroring root partition on SSD to a hard drive -- bad idea?

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Jan 15 18:51:59 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-15 12:32 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Eric Ladner <eric.ladner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Two of the drives that failed were OCZ
> Ah, OCZ.  OCZ brought (cheap) SSDs to the masses,
> but their failure rates soured a lot of people on SSDs.
> The anecdotal reports were that with some models
> of OCZ SSDs you were better off redirecting all writes
> to /dev/null (at least then you knew the bits were
> unrecoverable), with failure rates or their petrol and
> octane models reported to be above 30%.  But
> specific models do vary (just like not all Deskstars
> were Deathstars), and their more recent models
> have a better rep (apparently after their bankruptcy
> and purchase by Toshiba).

 From what I remember, the 512GB SSD I was provided to use for that server wasn't OCZ, but it wasn't Intel either.

The phD computer scientist using it was exercising the drive with 300-400GB data sets that burned out the drive in about 3 months. Yay. LOL.

And on the deathstar line, IIRC, when IBM still owned it -- it was rock solid. It seemed the sale to Hitachi was when the problem started.

(and I remember getting some of the hitachi models that did indeed fail regularly compared to IBM's)

Interesting they've cleaned up since sold to Toshiba (which is good)... but does it matter? Are they still avoided due to name?

(shrug)

  -Ben