[mythtv-users] Recording from STB that requests channel access pins

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jan 12 21:24:31 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 7:14 AM, Martin Bene <Martin.Bene at icomedias.com> wrote:
> when a recording starts, the current content can be unrestricted,
> so no access pin is requested. There is also no way to "preemptively"
> enter the PIN at this time. A couple of minutes later the actual program
> to be recorded starts and the box pops up the "please enter your pin"
> screen ==> recording of pin screen instead of program.

Yes, I agree, that's a nasty problem.

> There's a slight similarity to commercial flagging as that can also run concurrently
>  to the recoding and analyze the video is at becomes available, so a new "commercial
> detection method" might be a way to implement this.

I'd think you'd want something different.  The commercial detection,
even when configured to run in real time with the recording, is still
just a job and is subject to throttling up to the limit of the number
of jobs which can be running at any given time.  MythTV doesn't
guarantee that these jobs will run in real time, so it may be too late
for your needs.

> Any ideas on how to best hook such a function into MythTV would be appreciated!

I would first look for any way around the problem.  Does your STB
offer any means of control/query other than IR?  No
serial/ethernet/firewire port that might be used for some alternate
means of two-way communication?  Have you contacted your provider to
verify that there really is no way to disable the pin requirement?

Eric