[mythtv-users] transcode-h264-v2-- cutlist and commercial flags

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 8 20:08:25 UTC 2016

On 01/08/2016 02:47 PM, Jim Abernathy wrote:

> I’m trying to minimize the number of steps I have to take to transcode
> recorded TV from MPEG2 to h.264.  Using the subject script posted on
> the Mythtv wiki I can do this but with a catch.
>

> My steps that work are:
>
> 1.  auto-detect commercials after recording
>
> 2.  view recording in mythfrontend and import commercial flags.
>
> 3.  Make additional edits to add and move cuts.
>
> 4. save cut list.
>
> 5. run the transcode job that keeps the file MPEG2, but strips footage
> based on cut list.
>
> 6. run the transcode-h264 user job
>

> If I don’t run step 5, the file produced by step 6 has the cuts
> produced by commercial flagging, but not my manual edits saved to the
> cut list.
>

> Are the Commercial Flags in the database not updated when I manually
> adds cuts and save the cut list?

Sounds like the script is using the skip list (auto-detected commercial
list) and not the cut list--they are 2 separate and distinct markup
items.  MythTV applications ignore the skip list when a cut list exists
(and, IMHO, so should the script). (Actually, IMHO, the script should
not transcode out the skip list portions of the recording unless
explicitly told to do so by the user--with some command line argument or
some such.  Not sure if that's how it works, but it should be since the
skip list is meant to be considered a starting point, not a definitive
list of things that the user doesn't want to see.)

> I think I have the script configured to leave the commercial flags as is.
>

> I think my problem is not understanding what is stored in the database
> related to cuts and edits.

https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/blob/master/mythtv/libs/libmyth/programtypes.h#L50

You want to check MARK_CUT_START and MARK_CUT_END, rather than
MARK_COMM_START and MARK_COMM_END when any MARK_CUT_* items exist.

Mike