[mythtv-users] MythTV Raspberry Pi2 frontend testers

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 1 19:38:54 UTC 2016

On 12/12/2015 12:02 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> On 12/08/2015 03:14 PM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
>> Peter,
>>
>> You might like to know that I've improved the Rpi OpenMAX decoder by
>> reducing the number of frame buffer copies - saving almost 100MB/s on a
>> 1920x1080p at 30Hz stream.  This should (hopefully) allow you to play your
>> HD streams without jerkiness.  It's not as good as Kodi (yet), but it's
>> getting closer.
>>
>> Download the pre-built archives (~100MB) from here:
>> # For Debian wheezy/0.27:
>> wget http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv-v0.27.5-101-g665ee21-RPI2.tar.bz2
>> # For Debian wheezy/0.28:
>> wget http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv-v0.28-pre-3252-g0a0927f-RPI2.tar.bz2
>> # For Debian jessie/0.28:
>> wget http://www.softsystem.co.uk/download/mythtv/mythtv-v0.28-pre-3252-g0a0927f-RPI2-jessie.tar.bz2
>>
>> The jessie build will also run on a Pi Zero.  The Zero can only cope
>> with small SD material (memory constraints), but at $5 what do you
>> expect?  I'm working on reducing the memory footprint of the OpenMAX
>> video renderer and hopefully will have standard SD broadcast TV working
>> on the Zero.
>>

> Lawrence
>
> Thank you very much for all the work. I am traveling until the end of
> December, so I cannot do any testing, but I will try it when I get back.
>
> Peter Bennett

Hi Lawrence

Back from my travels - I have tested the wheezy 0.27 build.
Jerkiness is gone now when using eglfs :)
Also no jerkiness with OSD when using eglfs.

However - with eglfs the GUI still ignores the screen settings GUI X
offset and GUI Y offset in the mythtv frontend setup. Since I have a TV
with overscan this means part of the menu is missing. Also the GUI
ignores overscan settings that I make in /boot/config.txt, for example
overscan_left=48 overscan_right=48 overscan_top=32 overscan_bottom=32.
So no matter what I try I cannot get the GUI screen to show without
being cut off on the left and top. With eglfs it also ignores the
setting "Use GUI size for TV playback". The playback is always showing
full screen in eglfs.

Bottom line - I still need to use xcb. Jerkiness when showing OSD is
preferable to having the top and left of menus cut off and losing part
of the TV picture.

It seems strange that it would ignore the overscan settings in
/boot/config.txt. I would have thought that those would be honored by
everything, since they seem to be set at a hardware level.

Do you have any plans at to how this will be packaged? Will a .deb file
be distributed or a PPA supplied? Thomas Mashos was working on a PPA for
Ubuntu mate on Raspi. What is the status of that?

Peter