[mythtv-users] OS X mythtv-frontend only installation

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Feb 23 04:25:39 UTC 2016

> On Feb 22, 2016, at 9:27 PM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 22, 2016, at 9:02 PM, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> On Feb 22, 2016, at 7:49 PM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I’ve been looking around and the pre-built binaries I’m finding are packaged with backend and frontend for my Macbook Pro.  I only want to run mythtv frontend so I can edit videos.  I have a mythbuntu backend and a number of Kodi pvr-mythtv small PCs for media viewing.
>>>
>>> What would be the easiest way to just install the mythtv frontend on a Mac OS X??
>>
>> jya used to make available a bundled Mac app that contained the frontend only.  I don’t think he’s been updating it recently, however.
>>
>> You can attempt building it yourself but you’ll need to download and install XCode which is far bigger than Myth.
>>
>> What is the motivation, anyway?  mythfrontend and mythbackend link to almost exactly the same set of libraries (Qt, ffmpeg, mysql, myth*, …) so the disk savings of a ‘frontend-only’ install isn’t nearly as big as you might think.
>
> Well, i just don’t want the backend and the database running.  I kept searching since I posted this and I found a frontend only. The file was on sourceforge.  It’s called: MythFrontend-0.27-intel-10.7-0.27.2-Universal.dmg.
>
> It installed and runs okay.  At least good enough for editing.  I can edit and start the transcoding jobs on the backend.  So I think it works, but it may not be the latest.

Glad you found what you wanted.  I can’t recall any particular changes between 0.27.2 and 0.27.5 that had a big impact on the frontend on Mac.  But I haven’t checked the release notes.

Just to be clear, however, the database and backend ONLY run if you take steps to start them.  Otherwise, they just sit inert on your hard drive.  If you only use mythfrontend, there will be no RAM or processor cycles used for any other parts.

Craig