[mythtv-users] rescanning HLS channels

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Feb 6 11:05:18 UTC 2016

On 06/02/16 05:17, Vincent McIntyre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did not find anything about this in the archive so here goes
> with a question about what happens when you rescan an HLS .m3u file.
> This is on mythtbuntu 14.04.3 LTS & 0.27.6+fixes.20160202.2ddd1d1.
>
> I started with JYA's file [1], hacking in the URL discussed on the list
> recently. I put the modified file at http://localhost/test.m3u .
> When editing I managed to put in an invalid-syntax url so when
> I ran the channel scan (on the 'new input connection' screens)
> the NASA channel did not appear at all.
>
> I edited the file, making these changes:
>   - updating the NASA link
>   - commenting out a few channels I was not interested in
>
> Then (without leaving mythtv-setup) I went back into 'input connections'
> and reran the scan. The NASA channel was added but ones I had
> commented out were still shown in the channel editor listing.
>
> I exited mythtv-setup and ran mythfilldatabase, and the unwanted
> channels are still there.
>
> Obviously I can just go and delete them with the channel editor, but
> what is the expected behaviour here? I was expecting, since I was
> updating an existing input connection, that any channels no longer
> mentioned in the .m3u file would disappear.
>
> Related question - it looks like I can also delete the unwanted
> channels via mythweb. Is that a 'recommended' way to do this?
>
> Cheers
> Vince
>
> [1] http://www.avenard.org/files/media/playlist-hls.m3u

It looks like the scan channels feature just adds channels to the existing source - which is what
you might expect.

If you want a clean listing with only the channels in your new .m3u file, you would have to delete
that source and create it anew. That's what you are supposed to do when you scan a traditional
source. You did do that, didn't you?

You can delete unwanted channels with mythweb or by using the channel editor. Highlight the unwanted
channel and press 'D'.

--

Mike Perkins