[mythtv-users] Upgrade path for Mythbuntu 14.04?

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 01:11:13 UTC 2016

On 12/23/16 9:26 AM, Karl Newman wrote:
> Just a little plug here: I use Gentoo and have been able to continuously
> update it since I first installed it in 2005.

When I first set up MythTV in 2003, it was on a Gentoo host.

Given that it was mostly like an appliance, I didn't really keep on top
of updates for everything.  Until there was one update that I needed (it
was in a service that was exposed to the internet at the time).    And
that package update needed another dependency to be updated, which
needed a new glibc, which needed a new gcc, which needed me to recompile
my kernel and every other package on the system.   On a single-core
celeron.   That was when I moved on.

Even in a VM with a bare minimum of software installed, I've found that
keeping things up to date requires a special voodoo dance and spare time
to troubleshoot why the last install resulted in a merge conflict.  But
being in a VM, I could instantly restore back to my snapshot and try
again (and again...).

In my opinion, Gentoo takes a certain amount of dedication and desire to
continue to tinker with the system for indefinite amounts of time.
Beyond what Linux in general requires, that is.

-WD