[mythtv-users] Mythweb New Titles and Frontend New Titles can be radically off

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 13 15:45:51 UTC 2016

On 12/13/2016 08:25 AM, Kris B. wrote:
> A minor issue for me, but still, figured I would check.  Running .28 and
> it seems the last year or so when I search for New Titles in Mythweb
> there are barely any listings and it often misses actual new titles...
> When I do the same search on my frontend I get a lot more results -
> granted there are a lot of specials, missed hits, reruns, but I never
> miss an actual new program...
>
> Is it just the way it is or is there something wrong in my mythweb
> search?  I am using the "canned" search, BTW...
>
> Using Schedules Direct, have an OTA setup in the US (no cable)...  Have
> about 25 channels.
>
> I just make it a point to go in every two weeks on my frontend now in
> addition to looking in mythweb, but mythweb is a bit easier to schedule
> these things :)
>
> Thanks in advance,

In MythWeb, "New Titles and Premieres" canned search just uses metadata
transmitted by your listings provider to determine what to
show--basically anything that's not a rerun that's in the Special
category or any series whose subtitle includes the word Pilot (or whose
program ID fits Schedules Direct's format for episode 1) or any movie
that was released in the last 3 years.  So, basically the problem here
is that your listings data doesn't fit MythWeb's definition of "what's
new".  This works best for people using Schedules Direct, but still is
very simplistic and will miss a lot of things that are truly new.

In mythfrontend, "New Titles" is any title that has not appeared in any
of your listings in the last 11 months (11 months so that yearly
specials will appear each year--so you can record Rudolph the Red Nosed
Reindeer every year).  This is determined exclusively by your personal
listings data, and does not rely on any input from the listings
provider, other than title.  This does mean that old movies that haven't
re-aired this year will be shown, but then again, that show is "new
again".  Note, too, that mythfrontend's implementation works equally
well for all users, regardless of listings provider.

So, they're different.  This is why MythWeb isn't ideal--it has to
re-implement the logic already programmed into MythTV in a completely
independent code base.  In addition to redundant code, this also results
in differences in implementation (in this particular case) and
implementation failing to be updated as MythTV changes and functionality
being unavailable and other issues.  The new MythTV Web Frontend
actually uses the exact same code as the rest of MythTV, so will solve
many of the problems with MythWeb.

Or, put simply, MythWeb is not mythfrontend and isn't meant to be a
replacement for it.

Mike