[mythtv-users] Machine hung -- lists of recorded programs and upcoming recordings empty.

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Sep 24 00:12:05 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 04:15:05 PM Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 09/23/2015 08:19 AM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> > On 09/22/2015 10:41 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> >> As happens infrequently, when I tried to turn on the backend this
> >> evening I found the machine hung. I see my wallpaper, but there is no
> >>
> > With all the problems you are having it seems you must be having
> > frequent crashes and the database is getting corrupted. You likely have
> > some serious hardware problem in your system. I would start trying to
>
> I kind of suspected that. I'll start looking into what's available now
> that can be as quiet as the box I currently have. I'll go back and look
> at the comments people have been making over the last few months about
> various hardware options. In any event, I'll continue to follow the
> thread currently running about Restoring backup to a new backend, since
> I'll need to do that whether I use a new machine or just a new hard
> drive. I suppose I can try a new hard drive first, and then keep that
> drive for use with a new machine, if it comes to that.

Over 30 years I've found that CPU fans and power supplies are often the culprits, and as a machine ages toward 7 years I get ready to start having problems. I have spent much time chasing after OS and video card and CPU and disk problems only to find that a failing power supply was ultimately the problem. That said, I just retired my first Myth box after 8 years of 24/7 on an eMachines home machine from a liquidator. But I just got lucky.

Disks usually generate errors before they die, whereas a power supply can just make everything randomly flakey. Adding a new disk might just delay the inevitable.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca