[mythtv-users] Freeze-up

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 19:25:29 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 1:20 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> On 09/17/2015 07:17 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
>
>> Greetings Mythizens, I missed a couple recordings due to a freeze-up. I
>> use Ubuntu 14.04 and Mythtv 0.27 with auto shut down / turn on. Last
>> night I closed out as normal, around 10:48 pm, but when I came back
>> today I see a frozen (no mouse or keyboard response) Desktop wallpaper
>> with last night's time displayed. I'm hoping the pastebin of my syslog
>> can shed some light on my problem. It gets interesting around line 1540
>> or so. Any suggestions or further info needed? TIA  Daryl
>>
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/12442533/
>>

> I have had untraceable freeze-ups happening from time to time for a number
> of months. My box locked up last night, *as I accessed it* for the first
> time in over 24 hours. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for the lockups.
>
> Your report is the only one I have seen which has any trace.
> Can you quickly describe, or point to a source which describes how you got
> this trace? I find the logging which mythtv now provides is totally
> incomprehensible and useless.

I found it by guess, I knew that logs were in "/var/log" and opened
"syslog.1" thinking it was a system issue.

> Regarding what happened, it looks like NetworkManager lost the plot and
> then regained connection. Nothing happened for a couple of hours and then,
> and THEN, maybe a recording was initiated, and the system tried to check
> signal strength, with an invalid argument. (And that's weird). It tried and
> tried and... I presume that's where the freeze happened, at 22:43:58 on the
> 16th.

this is the point when I closed Mythtv FE for the night (which normally
causes system shut down), the next day, it needed a hard re-boot.

> Everything below there, looks like the re-boot.
>
> Geoff

The first time the freeze-up happened I was in the BE set-up and got called
away, when I returned it was unresponsive, and only came back after a hard
re-boot. I did some updates yesterday and the box behaved normally last
night and today, so I'm still scratching my head.