[mythtv-users] Freeze-up

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Sep 18 17:20:59 UTC 2015

On 09/17/2015 07:17 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> Greetings Mythizens, I missed a couple recordings due to a freeze-up. I
> use Ubuntu 14.04 and Mythtv 0.27 with auto shut down / turn on. Last
> night I closed out as normal, around 10:48 pm, but when I came back
> today I see a frozen (no mouse or keyboard response) Desktop wallpaper
> with last night's time displayed. I'm hoping the pastebin of my syslog
> can shed some light on my problem. It gets interesting around line 1540
> or so. Any suggestions or further info needed? TIA  Daryl
>
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/12442533/

I have had untraceable freeze-ups happening from time to time for a
number of months. My box locked up last night, *as I accessed it* for
the first time in over 24 hours. There seems to be no rhyme or reason
for the lockups.

Your report is the only one I have seen which has any trace.
Can you quickly describe, or point to a source which describes how you
got this trace? I find the logging which mythtv now provides is totally
incomprehensible and useless.

Regarding what happened, it looks like NetworkManager lost the plot and
then regained connection. Nothing happened for a couple of hours and
then, and THEN, maybe a recording was initiated, and the system tried to
check signal strength, with an invalid argument. (And that's weird). It
tried and tried and... I presume that's where the freeze happened, at
22:43:58 on the 16th.
Everything below there, looks like the re-boot.

Geoff