[mythtv-users] Recording profiles

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Wed Sep 16 20:29:27 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 02:52:15PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/16/2015 12:54 PM, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> >For this question I only care about the
> >HD-PVR.
> >Does MythTV use any of the program guide
> >data when it decides what profile with which to record?
> >If Myth
> >uses SD vs. HD to setup the Hauppage HD-PVR before recording then my
> >HD recordings may suffer in quality.
>
> If I understand your question correctly, the answer is that MythTV does not
> use any listings data to determine how to record shows.
>
> As far as the HD-PVR goes, AFAIU, the HD-PVR provides MythTV a compressed
> video stream that contains whatever your cable STB is outputting.  If you
> set the STB to always output 720p, the HD-PVR records in 720p.  If you set
> it to output whatever format the content is broadcast using, the HD-PVR
> records in the appropriate format (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, ...).  TTBOMK,
> you--as the creator of the recording rule--specify which recording profile
> to use (as part of the rule itself).

Thanks, that's borne out by the evidence that I have. I currently have
the cablebox setup to up/down convert all video to 720p. All the
recordings that I make against the HD-PVR are 720p with Dolby 5.1
sound. In the future I may want to hybrid convert video to either 480p
or 720p but right now I'm happy with the way things are working.

> In other words, only your cable company/cable box determine the format of
> the video.  You may well have high-definition recordings without the HDTV
> (listing) label or standard-definition recordings that have the HDTV label.
> The listings HDTV flag is (especially now, as more and more content is
> delivered in HDTV resolutions) relatively meaningless.  Some
> stations/networks choose not to indicate it on any of their shows (because

> [ ...snip ... ]

> the flag is meaningless (or, at least, means a lot less than most people
> think), it's not used by MythTV for any critical decision making.

Thank you very much, that's exactly what I want to know. In the past
when I have both SD and HD versions of the same programming, I had the
"only record in HD" flag set on some of my recording rules. As time
passes that rule is becomming superflous for me.

Thank you very much for the helpful information.
--
Chris

      __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
    _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]